[MUSIC REVIEW] Smeezy (@Iam_smeezy) ft Trillz - Mujo by @tobexi

Nowadays, it's incredibly rare to find songs that combine the old classic naija styles with rap. In fact, right now I find it difficult to remember one (though I readily admit that my knowledge of rap is pretty basic at best) except you wanna include the gospel genre of which I can name a few offhand. So when i listened to "Mujo" for the first time, I felt wowed.

Smeezy promised a very danceable song and with its slow highlife cum late 90s flow, "Mujo" delivers excellently on that promise. From the first second to the last, the beat, the hook and the delivery style is completely dance oriented. Not the shoki,skelewu or even skelemba high pitched, fast paced kind of dance but the slow, low-key, rhythmical, head bobbing, feet tapping, body swaying style that dominated the 80s to 90s music scenes. Reminding you of the Ebenezer Obey, Orlando Owoh, Fela Kuti hit beats and yet still managing to stay in touch with the modern ways. Smeezy really outdid himself on this. Summarily I think it's best described as a "Classical dance rap song".

Having said all this however, after listening to the song severally I noticed two things which the excellent hook and beat kept me from discovering at first. And which I feel if corrected would have made the song far better.

1. I believe( I may be wrong) that the song would have been better if a singer with higher pitch than Trillz had sang the hook or at least backed it up (please note I do not know him personally and neither do I have any beef against him plus I think he has a very good voice) perhaps even a female singer. Smeezy has a low pitch voice and so does Trillz. I strongly believe a low-high pitch combo would have resulted in an even better result.

2. Smeezy's rap lyrics in "Mujo" does not contain the lyrical depth that I've come to like and respect him for. But this is completely understandable cos "Mujo" isn't a rap single (or is it).

Overall tho, "Mujo" is an excellent song but with a number of things to improve.
My overall rating? 7/10.

CC: Oluwatobi Adesanmi
@tobexi

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment